Friday, September 4, 2009

closer to you.



i've had something on my mind lately. i've been thinking about how often i choose to do nothing instead of something. see usually when i think of the dilemma of doing nothing instead of something, i'm thinking of my life comprehensively. however, the truth is that small choices that at the time may see fairly insignificant, are what comprise the big picture. sure, there are sometimes decisions to be made that are irreversible and life altering, but there's always smaller decisions leading up to those.

to prevent my rambling, i pose the question: how in my everyday life can i choose to do something over nothing? well honestly, i don't have a specific solution. Although i will say that there are times when i've been invited to something and i know that attending or not attending is neither the right nor the wrong thing to do. however, there's often a voice telling me to just do it. and more often than not, i don't have a justifiable reason not to go. i simply want to spend more time with myself doing things that I want to do. now don't get me wrong, i firmly believe in the importance of alone time as well as stretching yourself too thin. but I also believe that there are areas in which i could be just a little bit more dedicated and little bit less selfish. i hope to give these truths a greater emphasis in my day to day decision making. i need to listen to that inner voice more closely, take a few steps further from my self seeking ways, and remember that my sole purpose on this earth is to glorify God. oh and i will add that the current series at my church is called Stepping Up. The series aims to teach us how to take the next step in our spiritual journey. i'm not sure what my next step is, but i know that i want to be fully prepared to take it! this series has definitely spurred some personal reflection/evaluation.


photo from ivoryandnoir

0 comments: