Friday, February 20, 2009

From Ballet Slippers to Wedding Bells

So the first of my close friends is getting married this weekend. We met in 3rd grade in Ms. Henry's class. One of the most vivid memories I have of Mary is a pink ballet sweatshirt that she frequently wore. Funny how certain details like that stay with you for 15 years. Out of all my friends, I have known Mary for the longest amount of time. When she was moving out I really hit me that we are full blown adults getting married, working full time jobs, etc. There were no warnings. It just happened. Suddenly the lives we're leading are the lives we once dreamt about. Now, of course, they don't look specifically as we anticipated, but nevertheless we are living them. It's scary and wonderful. There never are warnings in life though. Well actually there are but typically we don't realize that they were warnings until after the fact. I'm not feeling particuarly verbose this February afternoon, but I will share the below images and my thoughts regarding them. Some are symbolic; some just happen to appeal to me.



I liked this image for various reasons. For one, it's a ballerina and made me think of Mary's sweatshirt. Also, I really like the blending of colors in this image. And I really like ballet because it evokes elegance and grace. If I could do things over I think that's what I would aspire to be. Just kidding. But it's fun to imagine.



This is a vintage bridal pattern or so it says. I like the way the women pictured here are portrayed. Aside from their physical attributes, these women don't exactly appear happy. Shouldn't you be happy during wedding preparations? Okay okay, I know this is just some pattern, but still! Either way I like the image. The victorianesque dresses are gorgeous and the sentiment that the women are protraying is intriguing.



These don't look like your typical modern wedding dresses. Well, they're not and I wouldn't wear them, but I do find them quite pretty. So feminine. The middle one is my favorite. Given the appropriate style wedding, I might actually consider something of the sorts.

Well I have run out of time and it's time to go celebrate with Mary the biggest day of her life. Hopefully she won't be wearing a ballerina sweatshirt :) But hey, if she was I'm sure Ty would love her all the same.

Oh and I just wanted to share this quote from The Great Gatsby

He smiled understandingly–much more than understandingly. It was one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it, that you may come across four or five times in life. It faced–or seemed to face–the whole external world for an instant, and then concentrated on you with an irresistable prejudice in your favor. It understood you just so far as you wanted to be understood, believed in you as you would like to believe in yourself and assured you that it had precisely the impression of you that, at your best, you hoped to convey.
-F. Scott Fitzgerald

I'm not sure I've met anyone like that. At times, I might have thought that I had, but in all honesty I don't think I have. Maybe one day!

To ballerinas, friendship, weddings, and love. Cheers.

-Rebecca <3

0 comments: