Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Uganda


When I first starting attending HighPoint Church, I heard that a group was going to Uganda in the fall of 2009. I immediately decided that if at all possible I would try to go. I've been wanting to a mission trip for a while now. Anyway, over the past several weeks the trip slipped my mind, but yesterday after reading an incredible story about a girl in Uganda my interest in it resurfaced. The story of this girl goes like this: After graduating from a high school in Nashville, she went to Uganda to volunteer at an orphanage planning to stay a year before returning to the states and attending college. Her year there opened her eyes to the realities of the world and well, she decided to stay. She has now adopted over ten children. She stated in one blog post that she had seen what the world was really like and she couldn't go back home and pretend like she didn't know. I found this to be a very powerful statement. Just a few days ago I was ecstatic about the idea of going to Europe with my close friends this summer, but after reading about this girl's experiences and reading over the details of the trip on the HighPoint website, I felt compelled to go on this mission trip or to at least attempt to go. You have to fill out an applicatin and there are only 15 spots. So, I'm going to apply and if I get it I will go to Uganda instead of Europe. My vacation time won't allow me to do both. If I end up going, I won't have any vacation time left over, but I know it will be worth it. The application deadline isn't until May 17th. So, we shall see.

0 comments: